|Almond growers are irrigating to avoid heat stress.|
|Heat speeds up drying of alfalfa in the field.|
- Drink small amounts of water frequently.
- Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink.
- Take advantage of shade-and-rest breaks.
- Start work earlier in the day, to avoid the afternoon heat.
- Know how to recognize the symptoms of heat illness, such as poor concentration, cramping, fatigue, blurry vision, headache, dizziness and nausea.
- If you notice heat illness symptoms in yourself or a co-worker, have the victim stop working, find shade, loosen clothing, get fluids, and fan the body with any item available.
- Serious fluid loss can lead to heat stroke, which is an emergency -- if this happens, seek medical help right away.
|Workers should drink lots of water. - Associated Press photo|