- Assess stand establishment and identify pests or diseases if stand is weak.
- Begin tracking degree-day accumulations for plant growth as soon as the crop emerges. Be sure to keep records.
- Maintain a weed management program. Survey weeds and cultivate or treat if needed according to cotton pest management guidelines.
- Manage Fusarium. This soil disease can ravage fields. Survey fields and record locations suspected or confirmed to have race 4 Fusarium. We’ll cover this topic further in the future.
- Monitor nearby crops, fence rows and weedy areas for false chinch bugs.
- Monitor for spider mites, aphids and thrips.
|A false chinch bug. - UC IPM photo|